Membership and contributions

As a company established abroad, we would like to hire and employ a person in Germany.
a) Will that person have accident insurance cover in Germany?
Yes, the person will generally be covered by German social insurance, as local staff (‘Ortskraft’).
b) Which accident insurance institution is responsible and who pays the contributions?
As an employer, you must pay the contributions to the accident insurance institution responsible for the trade concerned. The largest category is made up of the accident insurance associations organised by industry. They are the competent accident insurance institutions for trade and industry, with the exception of agriculture. The accident insurance associations organised by industry are each responsible for specific sectors (e.g. metal, construction, trade, transport, administration or health and welfare). In addition, there are institutions for the public sector (mainly accident insurance funds), but they are responsible for employees of foreign companies in exceptional cases only.


Foreign liaison body

Matthias Hauschild
Tel: +49 30 13001-1610

Theresa Müller
Tel: +49 30 13001-1614

Adriana Weigel
Tel: +49 30 13001-1616